Saturday, November 13, 2021

BITTER

 “Look after each other so that none of you fails to receive the grace of God. Watch out that no poisonous root of bitterness grows up to trouble you, corrupting many.” ‭‭Hebrews‬ ‭12:15‬ ‭NLT‬‬


Bad

Intentions 

Tied

To

External

Regrets


My great nephew Zak is nine years old. He loves any type of play on words - puns, idioms, metaphors - he thinks they are all great fun and when he employs them in conversation they are always followed by, “Do ya get it?” As much as he loves word games, I hate shaving. I usually only shave every third day. 


One Sunday during quarantine he came into my room while I was getting ready for my Sunday morning live stream of service. He looked me straight in the eyes and said, “Russ, I think it’s time to mow the lawn.” When I didn’t get it, he rubbed his hands up and down on my cheeks. When I was finished getting ready, he returned to check my work. Running his hands again across my cheeks, he said, “You did good. You took it right down to the dirt that time.”


Today I want to take this message, “right down to the dirt.” Disappointment, betrayal, and heartbreak are part of life. Everyone has a story and ministry is messy. Dealing with feelings can take us down the path to becoming bitter.


““O Israel,” says the Lord, “if you wanted to return to me, you could. You could throw away your detestable idols and stray away no more. Then when you swear by my name, saying, ‘As surely as the Lord lives,’ you could do so with truth, justice, and righteousness. Then you would be a blessing to the nations of the world, and all people would come and praise my name.” This is what the Lord says to the people of Judah and Jerusalem: “Plow up the hard ground of your hearts! Do not waste your good seed among thorns. O people of Judah and Jerusalem, surrender your pride and power. Change your hearts before the Lord, or my anger will burn like an unquenchable fire because of all your sins.” ‭‭Jeremiah‬ ‭4:1-4‬ ‭NLT‬‬


Bitterness is a choice. Focusing on everything negative that happens to us will drag us away from God. Bitterness creates bad intentions within us that will surface and infect everything we touch. Nothing good can grow out of cursed ground, especially if we have cursed it ourselves.


“An offended friend is harder to win back than a fortified city. Arguments separate friends like a gate locked with bars. Wise words satisfy like a good meal; the right words bring satisfaction. The tongue can bring death or life; those who love to talk will reap the consequences.” ‭‭Proverbs‬ ‭18:19-21‬ ‭NLT‬‬


Collecting injustices focuses energy on external influences and multiplies regrets. Recently Michele and I were attending a church, new to us, as I pulled into the parking lot, Michele said, “Hey you forgot to shave.” I replied, “I’m sending a message.” Michele looked puzzled and asked, “What message would that be?” My response, “Unapproachable!” Too often the external happenings color our relationships but, our relationship with God is based on our heart response, which is spiritual and internal. To avoid becoming bitter scripture offers these verses.


“No, dear brothers and sisters, I have not achieved it, but I focus on this one thing: Forgetting the past and looking forward to what lies ahead, I press on to reach the end of the race and receive the heavenly prize for which God, through Christ Jesus, is calling us. Let all who are spiritually mature agree on these things. If you disagree on some point, I believe God will make it plain to you. But we must hold on to the progress we have already made.” ‭‭Philippians‬ ‭3:13-16‬ ‭NLT‬‬

No comments:

Post a Comment