Sunday, November 7, 2021

DADS

 “Truly God is good to Israel, to those whose hearts are pure. But as for me, I almost lost my footing. My feet were slipping, and I was almost gone. For I envied the proud when I saw them prosper despite their wickedness. If I had really spoken this way to others, I would have been a traitor to your people. So I tried to understand why the wicked prosper. But what a difficult task it is! Then I went into your sanctuary, O God, and I finally understood the destiny of the wicked. You guide me with your counsel, leading me to a glorious destiny.” ‭‭Psalms‬ ‭73:1-3, 15-17, 24‬ ‭NLT‬‬


Discovering

Amazing

Destinies 

Simultaneously 


    Writing doesn’t always come easily. Speaking publicly is at times a challenge and ministering to couples is often the most elusive aspect of pastoral life, at least for me. I never know the impact of what I’ve shared, but recently I have focused my attention on marriage and family. Which brings me to dads. 


    Before diving into an ocean of philosophies, expectations and emotions, take a step back with me to 2001. I was stepping into the pulpit of my first church as Pastor. I had been a credentialed minister since 1996, but this Sunday I was Pastor. The sermon was prepared, the worship leader was handing the service off to me. Just at that moment he leaned in and asked, “Pastor, when you preach, do you tell them how it is or, how it ought to be?” I pray today that this message is a balance between what is and what can be.


“A man might have a hundred children and live to be very old. But if he finds no satisfaction in life and doesn’t even get a decent burial, it would have been better for him to be born dead. Enjoy what you have rather than desiring what you don’t have. Just dreaming about nice things is meaningless—like chasing the wind. Everything has already been decided. It was known long ago what each person would be. So there’s no use arguing with God about your destiny.” ‭‭Ecclesiastes‬ ‭6:3, 9-10‬ ‭NLT‬‬


    Having children doesn’t make us dads and getting married doesn’t make us husbands. Discovering, developing and demonstrating satisfaction in our callings transforms us into examples of God’s strength, provision, love and protection. If we have no reverence, compassion or understanding of God’s design for the family, we will doom ourselves and successive generations to meaningless lives.


    Dads are busy, not chasing riches but, discovering the amazing gifts God has imparted to their families. Everything God does is amazing. We must remind everyone around us of the truth in love.


“I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: Marvellous are thy works; And that my soul knoweth right well.” ‭‭Psalm‬ ‭139:14‬ ‭KJV‬‬


    The first step toward becoming the dads this world needs is recognizing we have not yet arrived. We are all still discovering who we are in Christ. We take what we know and invest that knowledge into the hearts and minds of the next generation. 


“Don’t worry about the wicked or envy those who do wrong. Trust in the Lord and do good. Then you will live safely in the land and prosper. Commit everything you do to the Lord. Trust him, and he will help you. Once I was young, and now I am old. Yet I have never seen the godly abandoned or their children begging for bread. The godly offer good counsel; they teach right from wrong.” ‭‭Psalms‬ ‭37:1, 3, 5, 25, 30‬ ‭NLT‬‬


    Are we teaching our children to develop their gifts or to envy the gifts of others? Are we discovering our own amazing destinies and simultaneously helping our children to discover who they are in Christ? 


“You must love the Lord your God and always obey his requirements, decrees, regulations, and commands. Teach them to your children. Talk about them when you are at home and when you are on the road, when you are going to bed and when you are getting up. For you are about to cross the Jordan River to take over the land the Lord your God is giving you. When you take that land and are living in it, you must be careful to obey all the decrees and regulations I am giving you today.” ‭‭Deuteronomy‬ ‭11:1, 19, 31-32‬ ‭NLT‬‬


    Each of us is unique. Comparing ourselves to others frustrates them and us. Dads know, accept and teach this truth. We all have a part to fulfill in God’s plan, but we are not all the same. 


“For we are God’s masterpiece. He has created us anew in Christ Jesus, so we can do the good things he planned for us long ago. Together, we are his house, built on the foundation of the apostles and the prophets. And the cornerstone is Christ Jesus himself. We are carefully joined together in him, becoming a holy temple for the Lord.” ‭‭Ephesians‬ ‭2:10, 20-21‬ ‭NLT‬‬

No comments:

Post a Comment