Sunday, January 16, 2022

CALLED

 “For God saved us and called us to live a holy life. He did this, not because we deserved it, but because that was his plan from before the beginning of time—to show us his grace through Christ Jesus.”

‭‭2 Timothy‬ ‭1:9‬ ‭NLT‬‬


Chosen

Available 

Lifelong

Leadership 

Expressing 

Dedication 


    For me very few feelings are more gratifying or motivating than being chosen. As a child I never enjoyed sports. I was big, clumsy and clueless when it came to physical activity. So, I was always the last one picked for any team game. Academically I was smart but unmotivated. It’s likely some people reading this had the same experience as children, and I hope we can all embrace the truth: God has called each of us into His family and given us gifts to fulfill our callings. He has chosen us.


“You didn’t choose me. I chose you. I appointed you to go and produce lasting fruit, so that the Father will give you whatever you ask for, using my name.” ‭‭John‬ ‭15:16‬ ‭NLT‬‬


    We can be encouraged today because God chose us! He knew our weaknesses. He atoned for our sin. He promised any and all provision for the task; simply ask. The one requirement is that we make ourselves available. As Christians, our lives are our ministries. In this world we need gainful employment. But, did we consider our gifts, abilities, and personalities before we took our jobs?


“So I saw that there is nothing better for people than to be happy in their work. That is our lot in life. And no one can bring us back to see what happens after we die.” ‭‭Ecclesiastes‬ ‭3:22‬ ‭NLT‬‬


    Being available is not always comfortable and it’s almost never convenient; but if we understand the call we are answering, and the work that we are doing builds the Kingdom of God we can have peace in accomplishing the task. The needs we are responding to strengthen a brother or a sister. Addressing the need glorifies God. We don’t have to be experts. We need to be available.


“Also I heard the voice of the Lord, saying, Whom shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, Here am I; send me.” ‭‭Isaiah‬ ‭6:8‬ ‭KJV‬‬


“For God is working in you, giving you the desire and the power to do what pleases him. Do everything without complaining and arguing, so that no one can criticize you. Live clean, innocent lives as children of God, shining like bright lights in a world full of crooked and perverse people.” ‭‭Philippians‬ ‭2:13-15‬ ‭NLT‬‬


    Serving God is a lifelong endeavor. Personally my entire life is a miracle of God’s handiwork. I am only here because the church prayed and God answered. Born at 7 months, weighing 3 pounds and 14 ounces, my parents were told by the Doctor who delivered me, “Don’t expect to take this child home.” I fit in a shoebox 30 days later when they were able to take me home.


“Yet you brought me safely from my mother’s womb and led me to trust you at my mother’s breast. I was thrust into your arms at my birth. You have been my God from the moment I was born.” ‭‭Psalms‬ ‭22:9-10‬ ‭NLT‬‬


    Regardless of when and how we come to Christ, service from salvation forward is a lifelong process. We depend on leadership at many levels, and through every stage of our development. During childhood we need parental guidance. As we mature, we depend upon leaders in the church. However, the most crucial level of leadership we seek is that of the Holy Spirit.


“Listen to me, all you in distant lands! Pay attention, you who are far away! The Lord called me before my birth; from within the womb he called me by name.” ‭‭Isaiah‬ ‭49:1‬ ‭NLT‬‬


“Then he opened their minds to understand the Scriptures. And he said, “Yes, it was written long ago that the Messiah would suffer and die and rise from the dead on the third day. It was also written that this message would be proclaimed in the authority of his name to all the nations, beginning in Jerusalem: ‘There is forgiveness of sins for all who repent.’ You are witnesses of all these things. “And now I will send the Holy Spirit, just as my Father promised. But stay here in the city until the Holy Spirit comes and fills you with power from heaven.”” ‭‭Luke‬ ‭24:45-49‬ ‭NLT‬‬


    We gain knowledge and experience in life. All these nuggets of truth we collect don’t stop with us. As we grow in faith, we share what we know of God with those who will listen in the hope that the world will be transformed.


“Teach the older men to exercise self-control, to be worthy of respect, and to live wisely. They must have sound faith and be filled with love and patience. Similarly, teach the older women to live in a way that honors God. They must not slander others or be heavy drinkers. Instead, they should teach others what is good. These older women must train the younger women to love their husbands and their children, to live wisely and be pure, to work in their homes, to do good, and to be submissive to their husbands. Then they will not bring shame on the word of God. In the same way, encourage the young men to live wisely. And you yourself must be an example to them by doing good works of every kind. Let everything you do reflect the integrity and seriousness of your teaching. Teach the truth so that your teaching can’t be criticized. Then those who oppose us will be ashamed and have nothing bad to say about us.” ‭‭Titus‬ ‭2:2-8‬ ‭NLT‬‬


    Everything we are called to requires dedication. God has chosen us, but the response we demonstrate throughout our life expresses our dedication to serve Him.


“By his divine power, God has given us everything we need for living a godly life. We have received all of this by coming to know him, the one who called us to himself by means of his marvelous glory and excellence. And because of his glory and excellence, he has given us great and precious promises. These are the promises that enable you to share his divine nature and escape the world’s corruption caused by human desires…So, dear brothers and sisters, work hard to prove that you really are among those God has called and chosen. Do these things, and you will never fall away.” ‭‭2 Peter‬ ‭1:3-4, 10‬ ‭NLT‬‬

No comments:

Post a Comment