Wednesday, April 6, 2022

BOLD

 “So be strong and courageous, all you who put your hope in the Lord!” ‭‭Psalms‬ ‭31:24‬ ‭NLT‬‬


Balanced 

Obedience

Leveraging

Destiny


Boldness is a concept we’ve heard a lot about. We hear about bold new flavors. There are bold adventures as we take vacations, and just outrageously bold people we encounter in life. No doubt we all have a picture in our minds that sums up what we think it means to be bold - that in your face over the top, borderline arrogant behavior.


But, is that what God really expects from His people? We are called to be BOLD. What does that look like in the church, our homes, our jobs? What does it look like in our lives?


We’re all hungry for a move of the Holy Spirit. Personally I want to see God move the way He did when I was a child. I grew up in Full Gospel/Pentecostal churches. The Holy Spirit was active. Believers were bold. God did miracles. His presence was awe inspiring! What did they have that seems to be missing in our lives today?


“I trust in the Lord for protection. So why do you say to me, “Fly like a bird to the mountains for safety! The wicked are stringing their bows and fitting their arrows on the bowstrings. They shoot from the shadows at those whose hearts are right. The foundations of law and order have collapsed. What can the righteous do?” But the Lord is in his holy Temple; the Lord still rules from heaven. He watches everyone closely, examining every person on earth. … For the righteous Lord loves justice. The virtuous will see his face.” ‭‭Psalms‬ ‭11:1-4, 7‬ ‭NLT‬‬


What did they have that seems to be missing in our lives today? That question has consumed hours upon hours of my time. Right now, the church I attend is about halfway through a season of fasting, and I am beginning to see boldness in a new light.


“Then he said, “Son of man, go to the people of Israel and give them my messages. I am not sending you to a foreign people whose language you cannot understand. No, I am not sending you to people with strange and difficult speech. If I did, they would listen! …  But look, I have made you as obstinate and hard-hearted as they are. I have made your forehead as hard as the hardest rock! So don’t be afraid of them or fear their angry looks, even though they are rebels.”” ‭‭Ezekiel‬ ‭3:4-6, 8-9‬ ‭NLT‬‬


Being BOLD has more to do with having a balanced perspective of who we are in Christ than it has to do with overcoming fear. In my high school years I was a swing-shift manager for McDonald’s. One night working the closing shift I had an encounter with a person I believe was, if not possessed, at the least, he was influenced by demonic forces. I’ve been thinking about that encounter for a few days now and trust me, I’m a long way from my high school self.


The encounter went like this: The man was harassing customers. As the manager it was my job to get him to leave. I walked over to him and said, “Sir, I’m asking you to leave now.” He turned, looked at me and said, “You’re afraid of me.” I said again “Sir, I’m asking you to leave now.” At that point I was praying inwardly, and he said, “You’re afraid of me, and you don’t even know who you are!” He looked at me, said, “I can’t mess with you.” As he walked out laughing,”You don’t even know who you are!”


Being BOLD begins with balance. Knowing who we are in Christ gives us the sure foundation to stand on in any situation. Balance moves us into obedience. 


“Never let loyalty and kindness leave you! Tie them around your neck as a reminder. Write them deep within your heart. Then you will find favor with both God and people, and you will earn a good reputation. Trust in the Lord with all your heart; do not depend on your own understanding. Seek his will in all you do, and he will show you which path to take. … Joyful is the person who finds wisdom, the one who gains understanding. For wisdom is more profitable than silver, and her wages are better than gold. Wisdom is more precious than rubies; nothing you desire can compare with her. … My child, don’t lose sight of common sense and discernment. Hang on to them, for they will refresh your soul. They are like jewels on a necklace. They keep you safe on your way, and your feet will not stumble.” ‭‭Proverbs‬ ‭3:3-6, 13-15, 21-23‬ ‭NLT‬‬


Knowing our feet will not stumble gives us the confidence to step out in faith to do whatever God’s Holy Spirit directs. God knows the end from the beginning and He will work out the details. He is calling us into eternal life with Him in glory. We have a destiny.


“And we know that God causes everything to work together for the good of those who love God and are called according to his purpose for them. For God knew his people in advance, and he chose them to become like his Son, so that his Son would be the firstborn among many brothers and sisters. And having chosen them, he called them to come to him. And having called them, he gave them right standing with himself. And having given them right standing, he gave them his glory.” ‭‭Romans‬ ‭8:28-30‬ ‭NLT‬‬


From Balance and Obedience we learn to Leverage our Destiny. Invest the time, energy, and spiritual dedication to recognize who we are in Christ. The faith to move mountains comes from the realization that Christ in us is the hope of glory. Our destiny is to share the divine nature of Christ in glory. That knowledge will produce the boldness in us that allows us to move in the power of the Holy Spirit.


“By his divine power, God has given us everything we need for living a godly life. We have received all of this by coming to know him, the one who called us to himself by means of his marvelous glory and excellence. And because of his glory and excellence, he has given us great and precious promises. These are the promises that enable you to share his divine nature and escape the world’s corruption caused by human desires.” ‭‭2 Peter‬ ‭1:3-4‬ ‭NLT‬‬


Know who you are in Christ. Embrace your destiny. Be BOLD!

No comments:

Post a Comment